Monday, October 17, 2011

Myths are like onions..

 I have been reading The Magus nonstop lately, and as the story develops I can't help but notice a lot of parallels with Calasso. One of the ones that stood out to me was the concept of the layers of a story, particularly in mythology; the idea that whatever is happening to you has happened many times before, or that looking back on a story in different ways changes it so much that no one can be sure what the "real" version is, and therefore there exist many versions of the story, all equally mythological. Conchis talks about this during one of his late night chats with Nicholas.
"I was here and this house was here, you and I and this evening were here, and they had always been there, like reflections of my own coming. It was like a dream. I had been walking towards a closed , and by the sudden magic its impenetrable wood became glass, through which I saw myself coming from the other direction, the future." (Fowles, 108-109)
The symbol of the mirror is one that comes up time and again in mythology. I think this is because of all the repetition that happens in myths; whether it is of a situation, time, or story line. Each repetition creates a new layer of detail, enriching the story. So myths end up like onions, or croissants; much tastier because of the many layers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment